Spooky Stuffed Peppers Recipe
October 20, 2022
Happy spooky season, Wildcat! This week we are making a delicious Halloween meal: Spooky Stuffed Peppers! This recipe includes spicy Latin flavors like chili powder and cumin and the bell peppers are cut into fun Jack O Lantern shapes. It’s like miniature pumpkin carving but much tastier!
- 1 lb lean ground turkey, chicken, or beef (to make this vegetarian sub for one can of black beans)
- 6 orange bell peppers
- 1/2 cup dry wild, brown, or white rice (1 1/2 cup cooked)
- 1 medium white onion
- 1 medium zucchini (shredded)
- 1/3 cup low fat shredded cheese
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2-3 cloves of garlic
- 1 8oz can of plain tomato sauce
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Cook 1/2 cup of dry rice according to package instructions. Cover and set aside.
- Dice the onion and mince the garlic. Shred the zucchini on a cheese grater.
- Cut off the tops of the bell peppers and take out the inside pith (the white parts), and the seeds. Then cut Jack O Lantern faces in the sides of the pepper.
- Heat one tbsp of oil in a large pan over medium heat. Cook onions and garlic until soft and translucent. Add the cumin, salt, pepper, and chili powder. Stir in the zucchini and cook until soft.
- Add meat (or beans) to the pan and cook until brown and reaches 160F.
- Stir in the tomato sauce and cooked rice. Turn off the stove.
- Place the bell papers on a baking sheet. Fill the bell peppers with the meat, rice, and veggie filling mixture. Top with shredded cheese.
- Bake the filled peppers for 25-30min until soft.
- Enjoy your spooky delicious Jack O Lanterns!